What is Reading?
“reading is the decoding of words with an attached meaning, and
only until there are both present is there comprehension and understanding.” M. E. LaLuna
Reading Webquest for Educators
Educators are being accountable for the lack of increase in our children's reading scores. Teachers called upon to increase reading, writing and math scores. Ever since the NAEP began testing our students there has been little increase. It is the widely held belief that reading scores in particular must increase. Following a near decade of No Child Left Behind, the United States is being left behind the rest of the world and there is growing evidence that our children will be left behind, especially those children in Urban areas if the education system does not ramp up the educational process.
Further Reading (NCLB background information)
All Teachers Should Be Trained Reading Teachers
Teachers as Reading Diagnosticians
Your school system has received a large grant from the New Secretary of Education to implement a pro-literacy program in your school. Every teacher in your school is being required to become a reading teacher first. With on the job training you and your fellow staff members will become literacy specialist over the a probationary period of three years. You personally have been asked by your principal to head up a fact finding commitee whereby you will: Identify reading strategies to be used school wide.
- Implement those strategies through a series of professional development opportunities.
- Acquire statistics that will be used to ease the frustrations of the teachers by educating them of the importance of becoming unified as a school of literacy.
- Encourage your fellow staff members in the processes necessary to become a successful body of literacy educators.
In the first section of this WebQuest, teachers will work individually to search out and report individual findings in a document. Teachers can do this on any computer that has Internet access.
The second will require the individual educators to create reproducible documents for implementation in first their own classrooms. Teachers must maintain reflective journals and evidence of implementation, outcome and not only self-assessment, but outcome based assessment of their students.
Third, teachers must present their information to either a collaborative team and or the teaching staff.
Your evaluation will be in the form of a portfolio.
Your portfolio will include:
- At least 5 links to information that supports the rationale that all teachers should be literacy instructors first.
- At least 3 examples of reading strategies that were effectively implemented into your classroom.
- At least 1 example of a reading stratedy that you taught to either a collaborative team, or staff members.
- The portfolio should be submitted to your Principal for review as a recommendation to team collaborative teaching.
- Create a self-assessment rubric.
It is imperative that all teachers become fluent in literacy pedagogy, in particular reading. As our nation's reading scores continue to lag behind the expectations of researchers, we must all become pro-literacy in order to elevate the reading ability of all Americans. This can be done by educating all teachers first in the area of reading. Whether you are an education student going into Math pedagogy, or a music education major pursuing a K-12 endorsement, you along with all educators should be able to teach a struggling student in your classroom how to read. Emphasis on developmental reading, and then reading in the content area will begin to prepare future educators as to the importance of being proactive in their individual classrooms.